Old Warden

Old Warden occurs in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Wardone; it has had a variety of spellings down the years, including: Wardun (1158-c.1230); Warden (1215-1444); Waredon (1227-1262); Wardoun (1383-1393); Old Wardon (1495); and Worden (1785-1798). The name probably comes from the Old English weard-dún or "watch hill". A hamlet called Warden Strette (located opposite the abbey gate, rather than the present-day Warden Street off Bedford Road) was first recorded in 1537 and termed Wardon in le Strete in 1549.

Quince Hill Norman Ring Motte
Warden Abbey 52x38 fin no border web (1)